Agricultural Information

Download the Agricultural Information fact sheet.

Trans-Northern Pipelines Inc. (TNPI) operates pipelines throughout Alberta, Ontario, and Quebec. There are numerous farms and ranches along TNPI’s pipeline route. In these areas, we work closely with the landowners to ensure they can conduct their daily activities safely while protecting the safety of the pipeline.

Approval is required for any activity that causes a ground disturbance along the pipeline right-of-way or within 30 metres measured on either side from the pipeline centre (called the “prescribed” or “controlled area” depending on where you live). These activities include, but are not limited to:

  • Putting up a fence, poles or posts
  • Installing drainage or irrigation systems
  • Planting or removing trees, stumps or shrubs
  • Trenching
  • Clearing ditches
  • Deep plowing
  • Topsoil stripping
  • Augering
  • Sub-soiling
  • Altering the depth of soil

If you are uncertain about a given activity, contact us. For your safety and the safety of your community, your land, and the environment, never assume the depth of the pipeline or the location of other underground utilities in the area.

Prior to your work commencing (and depending on your area), either Utility Safety Partners, Ontario One Call, or Quebec’s Info-Excavation will notify us should your work be in the vicinity of our pipeline. We will contact you within three working days to verify that the work can be done safely, and discuss any approvals that might be required.

Before doing work, ensure it is safe to dig. Get a FREE locate – 24 hours a day, seven days a week – to confirm the location of our pipeline and other utilities before you dig.




Utility Safety Partners Logo (CNW Group/Utility Safety Partners)



In some circumstances, heavy machinery can be used near a pipeline. For example, vehicles or mobile equipment can operate across pipelines if:

  • Operated within the travelled portion of a public road or highway
  • The loaded axle weight and tire pressures of the vehicle are within the manufacturer’s approved limits and operating guidelines
  • The area has not been identified by us as an area where operating vehicles or equipment could impair the safety or integrity of the pipeline

These conditions apply to vehicles or mobile equipment used for agricultural activities in the production of crops and the raising of animals, and includes pasturing and cultivation activities such as tillage, plowing, disking, and harrowing.

But, some farm activities can endanger the safety of the pipeline and therefore require approval prior to commencing work.

If so, contact us at [email protected], in Ontario and Quebec, or [email protected], in Alberta, to secure a crossing agreement. We will provide assistance through the permit process, ensuring the project proceeds safely and efficiently.

When you contact us, we will:

  • Verify the location of the pipeline1
  • Discuss permit requirements
  • Issue consent or explain why consent cannot be issue, and visit the site to mark the pipeline and right of way limits so everyone knows where the pipeline is located2
  • Send an inspector, if needed

Not only is it the law to secure approval, damaging a pipeline can pose immediate danger to people and the environment. Failure to secure a permit/crossing agreement can result in financial penalties to both companies and individuals for non-compliance through the Canadian Energy Regulator Act.

About TNPI

We operate 850 km of Canada Energy Regulator (CER)-regulated pipeline in Ontario and Quebec, while the Alberta Energy Regulator (AER) regulates our 350 km pipeline in Alberta. Our highest priority is to operate in a safe and environmentally responsible manner.

About the CER/AER

For more information regarding the regulator and the regulations to protect the pipeline, please visit:

Canada Energy Regulator
Alberta Energy Regulator

1 Verification varies by region and will occur within 2 business days in Alberta, 3 in Quebec, and 5 in Ontario.
2 Timelines for issuing consent vary by region, and will occur within 10 business days in Ontario & Quebec, and 21 days in Alberta.